Saturday, November 26, 2011

Delicious things

Delicious things have been happening in our kitchen recently. Part of this is because I have found some awesome new (to me) food blogs. Part is because I have been frequenting Essex Street Market, which is closer and much easier on the pocket than Whole Foods. And part just because I'm hungry. I bring to you today, a sandwich, a salad and a stew that have made me very happy.

Lets talk hangover food. NOT that I get hangovers. But if I were to get hangovers, this would probably taste even better than it already did. Why go out to brunch when you can make this cheap and delicious hand held bit of heaven at home? Toast your english muffin (duh). Fry your egg on high to get it crispy on the outside and still slightly runny on the inside. Mash an avocado with a pinch of salt and some lime juice (if you are feeling motivated and are hangnail free.) Mix a little sriracha and ketchup to get what fancy pants restaurants may call spicy ketchup. Assemble parts. Eat. Wash down with strong java. Have a nice day.


 Can we call it healthy since there is a veggie involved?
 I say yes.  

Until the last few weeks, I had not spent much time with Food52. No clue why not. It is a compilation of fun flavors and sheer genius. I highly recommend that you check it out if you have not already. I had the BEST SALAD that I've had in a long time thanks to a dressing on their site. I can't remember the last time I raved about a salad dressing, but this one is the bomb. Red pepper, cumin, citrus. Sound good? Tasted even better. It is my new go to.

Roasted carrots, avocado, walnuts, greens & blue cheese
w/ a hunk of onion foccacia.

Not your typical Thanksgiving leftovers. I spent a relaxing Thanksgiving with Zach's family out on Long Island, where we went out for dinner. It was my first time eating Thanksgiving dinner at a restaurant, and while part of me missed my own family and our traditions, I enjoyed both their company and our delicious meal. I had forgotten that part of eating out was choosing from a menu, and when confronted with the choice between turkey and Prime Rib, I quickly ditched the traditional bird. Prime Rib trumps turkey, even on Thanksgiving.

I used our leftovers to make an awesome crock pot concoction. Hmm... looks like Prime Rib scores points in the leftover category as well. It being Saturday, we were at the end of our groceries, but whatever we had went into the pot (except the cheese, I ate that while waiting). It all made sense in the end.

Prime Rib Stew
Leftover meat chunks, whatever is around
1.5 c. chopped cherry tomatoes
1 diced sweet potato
1 diced granny smith apple
1 diced yellow onion
6 whole garlic cloves
2 bay leaves
1 tbsp. fresh thyme, chopped
1 c. red wine
1/4 c. balsamic vinegar

Toss it in the crock pot for a few hrs. I put it on high for 4 hrs.
Remove the bay leaves and garlic before serving.
Smear garlic on a warm baguette w/ butter. Chow down.

The plan for next week is stuffed mushrooms (that may make an appearance at our holiday party if they are successful), butternut squash soup w/ scallops from Ty's Kitchen, and almond chocolate chip cookie sandwiches w/ amaretto frosting. Om nom nom. Here's to some bodacious eats as we enter the holiday season!


No comments:

Post a Comment