Sunday, January 1, 2012

2012, yowza!

January first, huh?
What even happened last year?

One day rolled into another, just as it always does around 11:59, except that today there is a set point at which we can stop, turn around and look at what we've been up to. If we choose to take it.

As I glanced over 2011, my first reaction was something along the lines of I didn't accomplish enough, or Well, that was way less epic than 2010. This time last year I started, but never posted, a list called "2010 in numbers," that listed things like states visited, new restaurants I'd been to, concerts, nights spent on a thermarest, near death experiences etc. 11 states in 2010. 34 nights on a thermarest. Not too bad.

2011 though, I only hit 5 states. What the hell?

Which is precisely why glancing is no good. I actually had to ask myself what I'd been doing that my year looked so lame compared to 2010. C'mon self. Look a little deeper. The year wasn't lame or boring while you were in the thick of it, so let's take a look.

After wracking my brain and flipping through my calendar, I've come to the conclusion that what I accomplished this past year doesn't translate to a "year in numbers" sort of post. Of course there were some awesome concerts (LCD soundsystem, Avett Bros), wknd trips (leaf peeping!) and drool inducing restaurants (Fatty 'Cue!). I could count them up and list them. But that's not so much what this year was about. I worked on things that take discipline (saving dough) and are not 100% yay! woo! fun! but challenging (backpacking, tri training), rewarding (avon walk) and easily overlooked because they required some stick-to-it-ness and planning.

So in 2011 I stuck with things. That. For me. Is a very big deal.

By the time you're reading this, it is probably not January first anymore. Doesn't matter. What have you been doing? Take the time to think about it. Give yourself credit for it.

Oh, and here is a belated xmas present:

No comments:

Post a Comment