Monday, April 25, 2011

Spring Break

CLA & KCA at Rocky Mountain National Park 2011
I love vacation. I don't know what I'm going to do when I don't get it built in to my job. It's a total reset button. After a week of marching to the beat of my own drum and catching up on things that are just too annoying to do after a day of work, I feel like myself again. I spent my spring break in Denver with my sister Clare, who was an amazing hostess. We ate great food, worked out every day, and got on the same page in a way that you just can't on the phone.

It is weird being a grown up and not having my sister around. I suppose I should be used to that, seeing as though it is going on eight years since we have lived under the same roof. But it is different now that she is in Denver and not always at home when I go back to visit Baltimore. We talk on the phone all the time, but nothing beats just hanging out, watching The Office and making dinner together.

One of the highlights of my Denver vacay was our day trip to Rocky Mountain National Park. Wednesday was gray in Denver and threatening rain, but we were up early and booked it up north in an attempt to make the best of the day. As we wound through Lyons, up into the mountains, pondering how mountain people get their groceries, the clouds disappeared behind us and the blue sky stretched out in front of us. AMAZING! That thing that we wanted to happen, but probably wasn't going to happen actually did!

Elk behind me. They have VERY furry butts.
Our hike began in rocky/grassy/streams and zig zagged up the mountain into the snow, where we ate lunch and I got shat on by a bird with a mohawk. After lunch, the wind picked up and it started snowing, but we didn't really notice because our attention was focused on not sliding down the snowy mountain or falling through the snow. Of course, we weren't always successful in avoiding the snow holes and every few minutes one of us would let out a yelp as we sunk past our knees in the snow. It was the best hike ever. Lots of laughing and many pauses to take in the beautiful mountains.

It was cold, but we were determined to make
 that mountain ours. Layering was key.

Cub Lake

The "frolicky part" of the hike. Before the serious incline
and sinking into the snow holes. 

Narnia trees


Vogue.

Strike a pose.

Nothing better than a hard earned dinner:
Shrimp sauteed in Sawtooth Ale, shallots and garlic
over wild rice & shrooms. MmMmm

No comments:

Post a Comment