Monday, August 2, 2010

Vacation from vacation


On Thursday I puddle hopped over to Maui to see my friend Joey, who was in from NYC for a wedding. Her friend from LA was getting married, and I went with her as her plus one since I was just an island away. I had a blast celebrating with a really welcoming and fun group of people. The (gorgeous) wedding was a great way to kick off a totally luxurious 48 hours in Maui.


When you don't have much time, it is easy to pack the agenda with too many activities and wind up exhausted. This is a mistake I try not to make when people come to visit NYC. Joey and I had a great balance of activities and down time. We made sure to have time to soak up the sun (got burned for the first time since being here), enjoy silly fruity cocktails (finally got a pina colada in a pineapple, though it was covered with ants) and gorge ourselves on ice cream. With flavors like chocolate macadamia nut and lychee sorbet, how can you not?


On Friday, we rented snorkels and swam with turtles. Sounds like a great idea, right? It is a great idea. Unitl you are in the water, forget what you are looking for and just about run into a giant turtle. The thing was huge and looked like a dinosaur. I panicked, shreiked into my snorkel, and swam as fast as possible in the opposite direction. During my little time out, I gave myself a pep talk. Hello self, you are swimming with turtles. This is so cool! They don't bite and you are being a total sissy. Get it together. I went back over to the turtle, who had since left, but continued to search for others. We swam out quite a ways and followed two other turtles on their path along the black rocks and coral.


Maui was awesome (easy, clean, fun filled) and I'm so grateful for the invite. It was great to see one of my best friends, who brough an element of the familiar to a summer filled with new, wild experiences. It reminded me that as much as I love exploring and meeting new people, I love my friends and family at home :) xoxo everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment