Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Lessons Learned


In a previous post, I said that I had wanted to learn something new this summer, but was not sure what exactly that would be. I learned a lot about being comfortable with different kinds of people and what I like to do. There were also many "now you know" kind of lessons, like when I tried to start a fire with pine needles that seemed "dry enough." Here are a few highlights:
  • You don't have to keep in touch with people to call them up out of the blue and have a great time, though that great time is often a source of inspiration to keep in touch.
  • Having friends all over the country makes traveling much easier (no hotels and the best tour guides!)
  • Pittsburgh has personality, who knew?
  • Hiking is one of my favorite things to do. I forgot this. I especially love strenuous hikes that resemble obstacle courses (crossing rivers, traversing tree bridges, swinging on vines tarzan style).
  • Don't wear rings while using a machete, unless of course you want blood blisters.
  • If you put peanut butter on both sides of your pb&j and the jelly in the middle, the bread will not get soggy.
  • When weeding, get them all or it is a total waste of time.
  • Playing in the ocean is the fastest and most effective way to get dirt out from under your fingernails.
  • I love soft boiled eggs (thanks Uncle Keith!) and eating vegetables with breakfast makes me feel like I've already accomplished something.
  • Thermarests don't look like much, but make a huge difference when camping. In other words, camping without a thermarest sucks.
  • I am physically capable of much more than I thought before this trip. I was incredibly active this summer without really noticing it. It doesn't have to be yoga OR running unless I want it to be. I certainly didn't skip swimming in the ocean just because I had already gone hiking.
  • It's much easier to decide what to wear when you only have three tshirts and a pair of jeans.
  • As much as I love New York, I also love being a big fish in a small pond :)

No comments:

Post a Comment